How To Sign Your Virginia Title
The person (or persons)* listed on the front of the title must follow these steps, unless otherwise noted:
- Sign your name (or names)* on the back of the title where it says “Signature of Seller(s)”.
- Print your name (or names)* on the back of the title where it says “Printed Name of Seller(s)”.
- For all motor vehicles less than 10 years old, odometer readings are required.
To help with your donation, we have showcased the various Virginia vehicle titles below as well as annotated on each title where to print and sign your name. To enlarge an image, simply click on the image. Questions? Give one of our friendly Title Clerks a call at (866) 233-8586.
Note: Actual title designs may vary slightly from the images shown above.
Virginia Titling Information:
- Every motor vehicle, trailer, or semi-trailer operated upon public highways must be titled.
- Also titled are motorcycles, mopeds, autocycles, recreational vehicles (RVs), kit vehicles, reconstructed vehicles, and boats.
- Boats are titled by the Department of Game & Inland Fisheries.
- RVs, motorhomes, and campers are required to be titled.
- Effective July 1, 2006 new all-terrain vehicles (ATVs) or off-road motorcycles powered by gasoline or diesel engine displacing more than 50 cubic centimeters must be titled.
- Snowmobiles are not required to be titled.
- An odometer reading is required of all motor vehicles at the time of transfer, except when titling a vehicle that is at least 10 years or older than the current calendar year.
*For Multiple Owners:
If there is more than one owner listed on the title, one or both must sign it depending on how the names appear. See the below chart for details.
Remember, the name used to sign the title must match the name shown on the title exactly. Therefore, always remember to print/sign your name exactly as it is shown on the title.
John Doe OR Jane Doe
If “OR” is present between the names, only one of the owners must sign the title.
John Doe AND/OR Jane Doe
If “AND/OR” is present between the names, both owners must sign the title.
John Doe AND Jane Doe
If “AND” is present between the names, both owners must sign the title.
John Doe Jane Doe
If there is nothing present between the names, both owners must sign the title.
Please take note to adhere to the below instructions so as not to void your title.
- Do not use markers or pencils. Only blue or black pen is allowed.
- Do not cross out or strikethrough any text or writing.
- Do not use white-out or similar substance.
- Do not rip, tear, or tape the title.
- Do not doodle on the title.
Still have questions? Feel free to give us a call at (866) 233-8586.